For over 20 years, Anderson ZurMuehlen has been auditing employee benefit plans (EBP) including:
- 401(k) plans
- 403(b) plans
- Defined benefit pension plans
- Health and welfare plans
Generally, the Department of Labor (DOL) requires employee benefit plans with 100 or more participants to have an annual audit. For plan sponsors and administrators, choosing the right independent auditor for your employee benefit plan is an important step in fulfilling your fiduciary duties. Given the fines and penalties that can be levied and the increased scrutiny the DOL is placing on audits of employee benefit plans, it’s critical to choose a firm experienced in performing these audits. At Anderson ZurMuehlen, we have the right people with the right training and resources to audit your employee benefit plan in accordance with ever-changing DOL regulations.
- Dedicated team of trained employee benefit plan auditors
- Experienced in Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and DOL compliance issues
- Audits are managed by one or more CPAs with a minimum of three years of EBP experience
- Each audit is reviewed and approved by a quality control reviewer who has a minimum of 15 years of experience
- All team members receive at least four hours of training annually, which exceeds professional standards
- One of our audit directors, Jim Woy, provides EBP audit training throughout the United States, as well as to our own staff
- Team members attend the annual AICPA Employee Benefit Plan conference
- Member of the AICPA Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center, an organization for firms committed to the highest quality standards. Those standards include designating a partner responsible for our employee benefit plan audit practice, establishing quality control programs, performing annual internal inspection procedures, and making our peer review report findings publicly available
- Online subscriptions for access to the most current rules and regulations
Currently, we perform both limited-scope and full-scope audits of approximately 35 employee benefit plans. We recognize that our clients are cost conscious. Our philosophy is to work with you to find the most cost beneficial solution that meets your needs. We recommend limited-scope audits for plans that qualify, as this approach results in lower audit costs. We are a resource for our clients by providing timely updates on pertinent regulatory developments.
Benefits of Our Approach
Our unique combination of auditing, compliance, and record-keeping experience translates into value-added service for our clients. Our team members will work with you in a professional and responsive manner to complete the audit on time. Our team’s knowledge of current ERISA and DOL regulations ensures that clients receive an efficient and thorough audit for a reasonable fee while minimizing the time required of the client’s staff. Our firm’s years of experience auditing plans enable us to recommend operational improvements to help you comply with complex regulations. Clients undergoing an employee benefit plan audit for the first time will be guided through the audit process from start to finish.
Professional standards require the firm’s audit practice to undergo a peer review every three years. Firms can receive a rating of pass, pass with deficiency(ies) or fail. Anderson ZurMuehlen received a pass rating for its most recent peer review, which included a review of its employee benefit plan audit practice.